Search of Belarus hotels
National Tourism Agency
16.03.12 / The 46th International Tourism Fair, «ITB Berlin 2012», which took place from March 7 to 11 in Berlin, once again confirmed its status as the world's biggest tourism and services exhibition.
Links & publications
In the second half of the XVIII century when once glorious Greek Athens had already lost the status of the cultural capital, own “Polesskye Athens” appeared in Belarus. It was Slonim that became by that time, thanks to magnate Mikhal Kazimir Oguinsky, one of the cultural capitals of the Eastern Europe, by taking over everything the best from ancient Athens.
But Slonim is connected with Greece not only bycomparison with Athens. According to one of the versions (linguistic), the name of the town might originate from merger of two words of the Greek origin: “solo” — one and“nim” — a name that means “homonymic” and has common roots with the name of the town Saloniki.
The town is located in the Grodno Region, on the river Shchara, 143 kilometers far from Grodno.The railway station Slonim is on the line Baranovichi – Volkovysk. Automobile roads connect the town with Ivatsevichi, Baranovichi, Zelva, Ruzhany, and Dyatlov.
«St. Andrew's Catholic Church»
«St. Andrew's Catholic Church»
Slonim keeps its history from the time of the first written mentioning of the town — in “Hypatian Codex” under year 1252. In1531, Slonim received the Magdeburg law (confirmed inyear 1591 by King Siguizmund III). On the same occasion, inyear 1532, the town received the coat of arms as well: on blue background, an image of a golden lion that holds the coat of arms “Lis” — a silver arrow with double cross, in its fore feet.
Wars did not come by Slonim, either. So, during the war of Russia with the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth (1654—1657), Slonim was destructed almost to the ground, and many inhabitants died or were taken out in bonds.
In the second half of the XVIII century, Mikhal Kazimir Oguinsky became the warden of Slonim. With him, the town achieved its maximum prosperity.
Fromyear 1795, Slonim became a part of the Russian Empire, becoming the center of povet as part of the Grodno province. In1830s and in1860s, Slonim and neighborhood were one of the rebellion centers. So, on May 21, 1863, a famous battle took place near Milovidy.
In year 1915, the town was occupied by Germans and destroyed. In1919, it was occupied by Polish troops, and from year1921 became a part of Poland. From year1939, it was a part of the USSR, a district center in the Baranovichi Region. Since year1954, it has been a district center in the Grodno Region.
Life of many distinguished people who left a large footprint in the history of Belarus is connected with the destinyof Slonim itself. Among them arechancellor of the Grand Duchy of Lithuania, Lev Sapega, who the warden of the town for a certain period, and another warden of the town, Mikhal Kazimir Oguinsky, andMikhal Cleophas Oguinsky — a famous composer, whose youth had passed in Slonim. Poets Galyash Levchik (real name — Ilya Levkovich), Sergey Dorozhny, Kondrat Leyka, Ales Suchok (Piotr Dobryan) were born in Slonim or neighborhood.
A famous French poet Guillaume Apolinnaire (aka — Vladimir Alexandre Apolinary Kostrovitsky) has direct relationships with Slonim as well. His mother was born in the neighborhood of Slonim (the father — a native of Novogrudok neighborhood).
The inhabitants of Slonim are proud of such fellow-countrymen as Ivan (John) Vishnevsky (CEO of a large American investment and real estate company, millionaire, writer, his seven books published in the USA became bestsellers); Ivan Tikhon (three times world champion in hammer throw) and other natives of the Slonim neighborhood.
Points of interest:
The central part of the town withhistorical design is situated on the left elevated bank of Shchara. The Town Hall of the middle ÕVIII century is located there, being previously decorated with a colonnade with sculptures. In the south-east, at some distance, there is a former catholic church of the Bernardine monastery.
Of the entire complex of the female Bernardine order, only stony catholic church of Virgin Mary (year 1670), and a residential building (year 1764).
In the eastern part of the town, in Zarechye, there is St.Andew’s Catholic Church.
St. Dominique’s Chapel built in1745 in the western part of the town identified its boundary once.
In Vasi Krainego Street, one can see residential houses of the end of XIX— beginning of XX century and in Lenin Square up to now have been preserved craftsmen’s houses built by Mikhal Oguinsky for his workers in the XVIII century.
A large stone structure located near the market is a former synagogue built in1642.
«St. Dominique's Chapel»
Today, the town boundaries include the former country estate of Earls Puslovskys — Albertin. In spite of all peripetia, today, it is an impressive estate complex andpark-like massif with ponds of the beginning of the XIX century. A stony two-storey house in its middle part has a portico anda developed staircase with vases and sculpture of lions. The preserved household outbuilding was created in the spirit of imitating old art styles.
The Town Day in Slonim is celebrated in October.
Slonim is one of the few district centers capable of boasting of its own theater. Yes, indeed? Traditions oblige, because comedies directed in the traditions of the Belarusian people’s theater have special success among spectators. Here, you can also see staging of modern Belarusian playwrights.
Surely, it won’t be a waste of time, if you visit Slonimsky district local history museum named after I. I. Stabrovsky. The modern exhibition of the museum accounts for 9 halls and consists of the historical section and nature section.
Firstly, Slonim is interesting as an object of ïîçíàâàòåëüíîãî (excursion) tourism. However, this town is included into a number of active rest routes, as well as into multiple pilgrim and nostalgic tours.
Legends and traditions:
The famous Puslovskys’ Estate’ ‘albertin’ initially was Yurzniki. According to the legend, Voitekh Puslovsky had three sons: Albert, Magdalin and Tit. Albert was the father’s favourite. They say his life ended tragically: according to one of the versions, he drowned in the lake together with his daughter Tina, according to another, during the rebellion, he was running out of the estate and behind the lake he disappearedin the so called Extemporary Pit. He had riches with him, and many people still hope to find them to date. After Albert’s death, the estate was named after him. It’s true that when Puslovskys were in dishonour, it changed its name for Alexandrinsk – in honour of Alexander The Reformist.