Search of Belarus hotels
National Tourism Agency
16.03.12 / The 46th International Tourism Fair, «ITB Berlin 2012», which took place from March 7 to 11 in Berlin, once again confirmed its status as the world's biggest tourism and services exhibition.
Links & publications
Some historians believe that the town was founded in 1180, right after Deinova Principality had been devastated. Others claim that Lida was founded by Lithuanian Prince Gedymin, who ordered to build here a castle in 1323.
The stone and brick castle built on a high barrow that served as a line of defence from crusaders survived to the present day.
After Gedymin’s death Lida became the center of Prince Olgerd’s domain who spent seven years in the castle. In 1392-1393 the castle was several times attacked by German troops and British crusaders.
In 1590 Lida obtained Magdebourg Right and an emblem. In 1759-1834 there existed a theological education institution in the town whose graduates made a great contribution to the development of the Belarusian science and literature.
The famous Lida brewery was founded in 1876.
Another masterpiece of architecture admired by Lida residents and visitors is the monastery (1797-1825) and St Michael’s Cathedral (classicism). The cathedral burned down in 1842 and was rebuilt after two decades. In the 1960s it hosted a planetarium.
Every August and September Lida hosts an international festival of medieval culture and traditions called Gedymin’s Castle. Members of around three dozen knights’ clubs from Europe and the CIS take part in the festival.
The biggest hotel in the town is called Lida (can accommodate 266 guests). In addition, there is a three-star motel (8 suites) with a restaurant (70 seats) and a bowling facility. You can also stay at country-style cottages called Nad Nemanom (10 guests) and Dokudovo (6 guests) or Raduga resort (100 guests).