Search of Belarus hotels
National Tourism Agency
16.03.12 / The 46th International Tourism Fair, «ITB Berlin 2012», which took place from March 7 to 11 in Berlin, once again confirmed its status as the world's biggest tourism and services exhibition.
Links & publications
The centre of underground anti-fascist movement
Ushachi, Vitebsk Region
During the Great Patriotic War Ushachi District hosted several large cells of the underground anti-fascist movement. The heroic deeds of Belarusian partisans were described by many writers, including Vasil Bykov and Rygor Baradulin.
Ushachi is located 150 km away from Vitebsk and 45 km away from Polotsk on the bank of River Ushacha. Ushachi District borders on the districts of Shumilino, Beshenkovichi, Lepel, Dokshitsy, Glubokoye and Polotsk.
Ushachi was first mentioned in historical papers in the 16th century. In 1758 the town received the so-called Magdebourg Right (the right to self-government) and an emblem that depicted St Laurentius near a golden river.
After the second division of Rzech Pospolita in 1793 the town became part of the Russian Empire, and in 1805 Ushachi received the status of the centre of a territorial unit. Troops under the command of lieutenant general Vitgenstein were stationed here in 1812.
The Soviet regime was established in Ushachi in 1917, and two years later the town became part of the Socialist Republic of Russia.
The town was occupied by fascists from 1941 till 1942, and from 1942 to 1944 it hosted the headquarters of a local anti-fascist unit. In 1944 fascist invaders killed over 700 local residents. On June 29 1944 the town was liberated from fascists by the Red Army.
Ushachi District was the Motherland of famous Belarusian archeologist and historian Frantishek Varenka, poets Sergey Petrus, Sergey Zakonnikov and Yevdokia Los, as well as outstanding writer Vasil Bykov.
Ruins of an ancient settlement can be found in the eastern part of the town. Other monuments of architecture are St Laurentius Cathedral (1903) and the Church of St Nicholas.
The Museum of People’s Glory (37, Leninskaya St.) has over 14,000 exhibits related to the underground anti-fascist movement.
In addition,there is a museum of Vasil Bykov is his former home in the village of Bychki.
Proryv (Breakthrough) memorial dedicated to the heroic deeds of Belarusian partisans in the years of the Great Patriotic War is located 9 km away from Ushachi. 16 underground anti-fascist units headed by the would-be Hero of the Soviet Union Lobanok broke the fascist blockade in 1943 and helped the Red Army liberate over 15 thousand local residents.
The memorial opened on June 30 1977. It is a concrete wall split in two with a bronze figure on an underground fighter in the middle. The memorial also contains 33 plates with the names of 1,450 heroes who perished here during the blockade and the breakthrough.
Ushachi annually celebrates the anniversary of the liberation of Belarus from fascist invaders.
Ushachi has a hotel (24, Leninskaya St., BYR 12,120-BYR 18,220 per day) and a restaurant called Kupalinka (25, Leninskaya St.).
Target group — tourists interested in history, in particular the Great Patriotic War, and travelers who enjoy natural landscapes. The latter may spend a few days at Lesnye Ozera (Forest lakes) recreation centre that is situated near the lakes of Barkovschina, Dolzhino and Vechelye.
Legends and traditions
Ushachi is part of an eight-day-long cycling tour called Explore Belarus (Oshmyany, Myadel, Polotsk, Khatyn, Logoisk, etc.).
Travel Time company
The tour was developed by Y. N. Shumakovich
Tel.: +375 29 271 46 34
Other objects from the section «Vitebsk region»