Search of Belarus hotels
National Tourism Agency
16.03.12 / The 46th International Tourism Fair, «ITB Berlin 2012», which took place from March 7 to 11 in Berlin, once again confirmed its status as the world's biggest tourism and services exhibition.
Links & publications
The town was first mentioned in chronicles in 1065 as a frontier outpost with a powerful fortress. The first mentioning of Braslav castle is dated 1402. In 1661 the town was ruined by the troops of Russian Tsar Aleksey Mikhailovich.
The town was granted the right to self-government (Magdebourg Right) by Polish King and Lithuanian Prince Stanislav Augustus.
In 1794 the streets of Braslav turned into a battle field between rebels led by Tadeusz Kosciuszko and Russian troops. A year later the town became part of the Russian Empire.
The first stone building in Braslav was a cathedral built in 1824.
From August 1919 till June 1920 the town was occupied by Polish troops and it remained part of Poland until 1939. During the Great Patriotic War Braslav turned into an important centre of underground anti-fascist activity. In 1942 many ghetto prisoners were killed here. The town was liberated from fascist invaders on July 8, 1944.
In 1995 Braslav became the capital of Braslav Lakes national park, which is one of the favorite recreation sites for many Belarusians and foreign guests.
The town annually hosts a number of festivals and celebrations, including the Crafts Festival (August, Museum of Traditional Culture), the Festival of Amateurs called Braslavskiye Zarnitsy (May, Lesnichevka park), Kupalle (June 24, July 6), Neptune Day (August, the shore of Drivyaty Lake).
There are several hotels in Braslav. Kommunalnaya Hotel can accommodate around 70 guests, Zaezdny Dvor Hotel can accommodate 14 guests, Braslav Lakes tourist facility has two buildings for 170 and 190 guests respectfully. Besides, there is a possibility to place a tent in a camping site in Lesnichevka park or rent an apartment from private landlords.
There are three restaurants, around 10 cafes and a cinema in Braslav. Local banks offer foreign currency exchange services.
Other objects from the section «Vitebsk region»